There are three main functions of IS:
- support competitive advantage
- support business decision making
- support business operations and processes
- Hardware. Consists of computer equipment used to perform input, processing and output activities.
- Software. Consist of computer programs that govern the operation of the computer.
- Databases is an organized collection of interrelated data (records)
- People who manage, run, program, maintain
- Procedures. Strategies, policies, methods and rules for using computer information system including operation, security and maintenance of the computer.
- Telecommunications. Electronic
transmission of signals for communications which enables organizations to carry
out their processes and task through effective computer networks.
- Transaction Processing System (TPS)
- records the data from everyday operations throughout every division or department in the organization
- captures and processes data
- supports unstructured (complex) problems
- used by law level managers (operational)
- is an integrated collection of people, procedures, databases and devices that provides managers and decision makers with information to help achieve organizational goals
- produces several kinds of reports with fixed and standart formats
- supports structured (programmed) problems
- used by middle managerial levels (tactical)
- an organized collection of
people, procedures, software, databases and devices used to support problem - specific decision making
- input include internal and external
- used to support unstructured problems
- consist of 4 part (User, Software, Data, Decision Model)
- mainly for tactical managers
- designed to support higher level of DM in Organization
- gain direct access information about company
- used by top managers (strategic)
- use internal and external data sources
- computerized expert systems have been developed to diagnosed problems and solve problems
- part of a general category of computer applications known as artificial intelligence